Sunday, August 5, 2007

St Louis and Camp RiverCliff

My father’s best friend was my godfather "Uncle Red", who had attended Meharry and Homer G. Phillips with him. He was one of the first Black psychiatrist in the country and remained in St. Louis to practice. He married Aunt Dot and they were unable to have children. So, I became their special child. They would have me come to St. Louis in the summer where he would take me to major league baseball games and she would take me to the zoo at Forrest Park or to some function to refine me. Uncle Red was from Gastonia, NC and his dad was a doctor and had owned a Black baseball team in the 30’s and 40’s. Uncle Red was a rabid fan and when Jackie Robinson played for the Brooklyn Dodgers he attended practically every game taking me to quite a few. At the time, St. Louis had the Browns in the American league and the Cardinals in the National league. They both played at Sportsman’s Park, on a schedule that allowed each league to have long game stands, at least a week at a time, based on their travel rotation. They had “knot hole” days, where kids got in free with a red pass for the Cardinals and a brown pass for the Browns. Though the park was segregated , we went to see the likes of Ted William and Joe DiMaggio when they were in town. When the Dodger’s came to town it was a big event, buses from Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and Louisiana, bringing Blacks from all over the south c to see Jackie Robinson play. My uncle would drop me off so I could stand in line for tickets and come back later when I neared the front to pay for the ttickets.. The city just throbbed with crowds of Blacks filling the city with palpable energy. At the park, Blacks were confined to an area in right field behind a screened bleacher called “the pavilion”, which one famous radio announcer, Harry Carey, frequently referred to as the “sable sea”
I saw many a game and met most of the ball players when Newcomb and Campanella joined the Dodgers, since they ate at the Deluxe Restaurant where we usually ate.
Since I ran out of things to do after several weeks , Uncle Red, decided to send me to River Cliff a YMCA summer camp. The camp season was divided into 8 periods that were ten days each. The first year I stayed two periods and took to camp like a duck to water. I loved it
My introduction to the Pine Street YMCA and Camp River Cliff was Uncle Red dropping me off at the Y at 6 AM to join a group of scruffy boys, ages 10 to 16 standing next to a pile of duffle bags. Parked at the curb, engine idleling, was a tarp covered truck with slated sides, the kind you haul cattle in;. this was our transportation. Mr Cook, the Y’s director, a short pudgy man directed the loading. Once we were all loaded and seated aboard about 30 of us, the tail gate was secured, and off we went like cattle. The camp was near a town called Bourbon, MO about 80 miles SW of St. Louis in the foothills of the Ozark mountains.
To this day, I can remember the smallest details of the lay out of River Cliff. It was bordered by a creek that partially circled it on the West and South; a sloping tree filled hill on the North with the Merramac River intersecting the creek to the East. Twelve cabins lined a path at the foot of the wooded hill. Each cabin held 10 boys and a cabin leader and asst cabin leader.
On a knoll near the entrance was a dining hall and cabins for the staff and an outdoor chapel.( where we use to sing “ the Old Rugged Cross”). Out in the middle of the camp was an outhouse building, knick named the KYBO (keep your bowels open) which each cabin rotated cleaning. Yuck!
Of all the creatures on earth kids can be the cruelest especially when naming someone with a physical disability. There was a boy “nub” had one hand, “double nub” both hands missing, both could bat and field a baseball. Also there was “one hung low” missing one leg who could swim like a dolphin.
Everyone had nicknames, Blubber, Hardhead, Rabbit, Chipmonk, Jimmy J, Big Dog, Poot Eye, Sissy Joe and I was Lil’ Abner ( because I always wore combat boots )
In the years, I went to camp there were a slew of street gangs in St. Louis ( Counts, Rats, Termites, Hawks, etc) but there was an unwritten pact that all beefs were on hold at camp. And over time friendships developed that helped defuse some of the long time gang wars.
I learned to swim really well and went from novice to master camper over a couple of years, staying the whole season, eventually becoming a lifeguard and cabin leader at age 15. Years later when I moved to St Louis to do my medical training some of my old camp mates kept me safe in some touchy situations I encountered.
We had a camp song that went:
“Campmates stand together, be a friend to all. Thru fair or stormy weather we’re there to help you if you fall. If you have to take a lickin carry on and quit your bitchin campmates at your call”
River Cliff was very primitive, we washed in the cold creek and rinsed off in the warmer river. I learned the species of birds, plants and trees, also how to row a boat and paddle a canoe, swim a mile and gig frogs as well as cook them. I guess a lot of independence I developed came from my days at camp.
One of the best experiences was at the end of camp when the counselors, cabin leaders and Directors, would take the canoes back to St. Louis. This was a four day river trip down the Merramac river to the Mississippi where the canoes were loaded up for storage. We camped at night on sand bars, shot rapids and had our share of spills. These are cherished memories that writing this have helped me recall.
Going to the Y and being at camp did not make life always safe in the streets of St. Louis.
One summer night I was with Blubber and Jimmy J in a variety store, both of them were "Hawk" gang members. In walked five "Counts". Blubber said “grab a bottle swing on somebody and run”. We broke out the screen door they in hot pursuit, we split. I took off down an alley and had a good lead when I heard shots and felt a searing pain in my left calf. I lived on the other side of town and had to catch a trolley home. This was during WW II and the trolley only stopped every other block. So I was running beside one beating on the side still being chased until it finally stopped and I jumped on, the motorman started off quickly leaving the gang behind. I looked down and blood was streaming thru a hole in my pant leg. I pulled up my jeans and saw I had a tear thru my calf. I pulled the jeans back over the wound and held it. The bleeding finally stopped. Back at my Uncles Red’s I slipped in the bath room and having seen far too many western’s where they poured liquor in gun shots. I figured I needed to put alcohol on it, it damn near killed me but I poured some shaving lotion in the wound. and wrapped it with a handkerchief. It healed fine and I never told anyone until later in life about this incident. The jeans I hid in the trash can and tried to sleep away my close call.

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your story. I hope you remember the steep path we had to take to get to the creek and the river for bath time at Camp River Cliff. Your memory is very good, as I remember many of the same things, even though I went there in the 1930's. I really appreciate knowing that Camp River Cliff was as meaningful to you as it was to me.

Anonymous said...

I was a camper and then went in to be a lifeguard and counselor at river cliff 1967-1971. I was counselor for Cabin 8. There was the large cabin before the rifle range we called it "The Rec Hall". Great memories.

Anonymous said...

I went to Rivercliff in the 50's with my Uncle John Staples and his three boys. They were very much involved with the Pine St. "Y" and the camp. I remember the camp just as you described it. I still shiver just thinking about washing up in the creek. Did they have that raft in the middle of the river tied by cables when you were there? Uncle John and the counselors would take us up the hill to a semi circle on logs on the ground around a bon fire. We sat there while one of the counselors told the story of "Drop Foot Sam." ( I think) Uncle John would come out of the dark at the apex of the story scattering us all. My memory may be a bit rusty so bear with me.

Anonymous said...

I found this blog searching for a specific reference about my grandfather, the "Mr. Cook" the writer describes as "short and pudgy." Note that he says nothing else of my grandfather, leaving the impression that he was little more than the greeter for the campers. Far from it!! I can only assume that Uriah knows nothing of the origins of Camp Rivercliff and nothing about how Camp Rivercliff was the first such camp in the country for inner-city Black male youths. I would be the first to admit that my grandfather was very overweight, but he was not "pudgy" and his stature was not what people remembered about him. He was a man of average height with an enormous heart and he had a warm and generous spirit. Reverend James E. Cook, my grandfather, was minister of the largest Black congregation (Antioch Baptist Church) in St. Louis at that time and, simultaneously, the first Black Executive Secretary of the Pine Street YMCA. Camp River Cliff was my grandfather's brainchild and he personally faced down the KKK's threats to make it possible for Black boys to escape the heat and tedium of the long summer months and to learn to swim, dive, fish, master archery and complicated crafts, and receive counseling. The camp offered educational programs and training skills for personal development and enrichment. Camp Rivercliff was a place where Black boys built self-confidence and were mentored by a caring, giving, dedicated staff. Though he could easily have delegated responsibilities such as meeting the new, incoming campers, my grandfather always chose that special duty as one of many that he eagerly, personally undertook. Rev. Cook never forgot his St. Louis roots and he lived his entire life in service to the Black communities of St. Louis. I assume the writer also knows nothing of the fact that a public school in St. Louis was named in honor of my grandfather or that Camp Rivercliff was operated with money earned from the "Y Circus," an annual gala at which big-name talent such as Nat King Cole, Eartha Kitt, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Cab Calloway, Earl Hines, and Sammy Davis Jr., among others, performed for crowds specifically to generate funding for Camp Rivercliff. The "Y Circus" was another one of my grandfather' concepts. I could go on...but I think you understand where I'm going with all this. Uriah is free to post his memories, but unsubstantiated statements and ignorance of facts do little to enhance his soliloquy. It pains me when we Black folks know so little of our history yet feel so free to ramble! By the way, my grandfather died of a heart attack while at Camp Rivercliff. We ached to lose him, but we knew he died doing what he loved. Brenda Mitchell-Powell P.S. I hate listing myself as anonymous, but I don't have a gmail account or URL. You can reach me at

Anonymous said...

I learned a lot about Camp Rivercliff from you that I never knew, Anonymous. Thank you for the background. I forget if the place is still there or not. I left St. Louis at age 14 after graduating from Gunlach Elementary and moved to the west coast. I feel so lucky to have experienced such a wonderful place. I remeber that we were taken to nearby farm owned by some white people who treated us alright. Also, Uncle John took us to Merrimac State park and we had such a wonderful time. Another memory was when we found the watermelons hidden in the creek under a sort of bridge. Naturally they were ice cold and so sweet.

kim richardson said...

love your story. I live right down the road from the old camp. they tore it down but a lot of the concrete pillers are there. I would love to see any pictures you might have. please contact me through facebook or email at Kimrichardson4@aol.com I have recently take a lot of pictures and would love to share

Anonymous said...

I'm Ronald J. Elliott,BA, J.D., son of George "The Fox" Elliott. I was "Little Fox" until I went to 6", 175#, cabin leader & lifeguard, as was my sister Linda. We shouldn't omit Mr. Andrew S. "Papa Jack" Jackson, who actually directed Camp all during my years. "The Fox" was one of about 14 or 15 young men who achieved the height of RiverCliff attainment, earning the ORDER OF THE SQUARE. The last man I saw achieve it was Richard Hodges; after that, I went off to Hampton University and Howard Law. In the summers opportunities opened up to us that did not exist before the '60's. When I was taking the W.S.I. course at Wohl Center, the call came through that I could come on up to New Haven, Conn. and spend the rest of the summer of 1964 on the campus of Yale Univ. Divinity School in a program. Things were changing.

Eventually, the St. Louis "Y" sold Rivercliff to, I think, the Army Corps of Engineers; which was going to flood the area with a dam. "The Fox" and I went out there on a Saturday, as they were tearing down the cabins. He had ambitions to climb Lookout Mt., (all of 600 ft. high). But I had drug my daughter Cecelia along. She sat astride the Pillow Post in the Elm Theater. Thank God we didn't attempt to scale Lookout; neither of us was a young buck any longer.

"The Fox" went on to serve for ages on the Board of Page Park, and signed the contract to construct the Monsanto Branch. He served a term on the YMCA of the World. He passed on a few years ago, and many an old "Y" boy came out to see him off, and a few "Y" girls. i hope to hear from old campers. ronelliott2000@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

P.S. from RJE:

Missouri voters eventually decided NOT to create another lake. The State of Missouri now owns ALL that land, and it is called the Blue Springs Conservancy. I think that's right. It IS a conservancy, which means you cannot so much as light a match on the ground that was once Rivercliff. There IS a high-falutin' campground about 300-400 yards upriver from where the "Hog Trough Bridge" once stood. I mean WAY, WAY high-falutin'. Their "cabins" are high=powered mini-villas. Probably nice; bring large bucks. The dirt road that went past Rivercliff is histoire; there is now a Blue Springs Road that leads from Hiway N over to the Meramec. Paved and everything.

Earle Robinson said...

What a shame that this YMCA historic site be completely removed.I was there from
1944-1949. I remember the mountain the mile swim and diving off the "rock".
Lucky we have our memories of a place that made a mark on many a boy. Thanks for your comment.

Anonymous said...

Its a shame in some sense; it was an utterly unique asset to an African-American community, like Reverend James. E. Cook himself. The entire downtown area where the Pine Street "Y" stood vanished decades ago. The successor "Y", named Monsanto "Y" is way out in the west end where NONE of us lived when you were here. Re: Monsanto-the Chief General Counsel of that multinational is Mr. Reuben Shelton, Esq., who is President of the entire Missouri Bar, and Senior Grand Vice Polemarch of Kappa Alpha Psi.

"Tempus DO fugit; don't it?"

Dynamite said...

I am the youngest son of "Uncle " John Staples. I was looking for a map showing the Location of Rivercliff and found this site. I was shocked and stunned to find memories of my Dad and the impact he had. I have always reflected on how much he gave to others and have met many who were able to tell him of the positive impact he made on their lives. I've realized what a blessing to offer inner-city Black youth and all who wanted ( Steven Martin and Brock Schumacher to name two) an escape from hot summer pavement and an intro into God's great outdoors. I vaguely remember Cook and Papa Jack. I knew Hodges.I remember the Raft and the horseflies, Lookout Mtn and the Cross atop it ( and the copperheads). I remember Jodie Bailey and Tiny and Weatherbird, the Dining Hall and the Camp bell. Wow. A recent movie I saw had the song, " Viva La Companie" in it's credits, and I hadn't heard it in decades, but I remembered the words... I am 65 now, but Rivercliff and it's people are fresh as yesterday. Tender feet at the beginning, but able to walk barefoot on the rocks to the river by terms in. That's Life, no...?

Anonymous said...

Rivercliff forever "I place my Log on the Fire of friendship and may it burn forever"

Willie Sonny Metcalfe (Toupee) Cabin 8. Counselor/Lifeguard said...

Ruvercliff changed my life I had a brother nickname Tiny who also attended River cliff forever I place my log on a fire of friendship may burn for ever.

ann disinger said...


i am researching information for a book on camp rivercliff. I am Albert Ross AKA Rabbits daughter-in-law and am using my husbands gmail account if you have any pictures or info you would like to share it would help a lot. What little I have so far is sparse. I live in st louis and have a weekend place downriver from the old camp.

Anonymous said...

Don't believe I caught your name, "Rabbit's Daughter-inlaw," but that's okay, most campers went by nicknames. Photos from Rivercliff are hard to come by. "The Fox" had a few slide trays full, but he was better at taking them than he was at preserving them.There was an organization called "The Y.M.C.A. Old Tymers," which used to function at the Monsanto Family Branch YMCA, on Page Blvd, where the Page-Park Branch was. Check with Monsanto Branch and see whether you can find any names or addresses, or memorabilia,if you haven't already. The St. Louis Argus used to do the occasional photo shoot out there; I'd check with their morgue of old photos, if it exists. I believe that U.M.S.L. had a compilation of records on the Pine Street Y.M.C.A.,where something might exist. Best Wishes on your river home.

ann disinger said...

Rabbits daughter-in-law is Ann Disinger and I am taking Rabbitt to the old tymers club saturday Mildred Boyd gave me what she had which was a brochure on the 1944 Y Circus. She was the one who researched for the Channel 9 Living St. Louis episode on the Rev. Cook. There was one picture of boys swimming and a fuzzy picture of the dining lodge.

ann disinger said...

Mrs.Alice Bremer from Bremer Hardware store in Bourbon created a history of Bourbon which is for sale at her store and her grandson sent me a page about the camp which was written by Wayne Calvin from Villa Ridge Mo. I have talked to him at some length and he has started a book. He hase some Mobility issues but writes better than me so I hope he will write the book with my help.





the man who had the contract to tear it down is a Mr Schotts and he fishes that section of the river now for catfish I am trying to get his phone number from a relative.

ann disinger said...

Rabbits daughter-in-law is Ann Disinger and I am taking Rabbitt to the old tymers club saturday Mildred Boyd gave me what she had which was a brochure on the 1944 Y Circus. She was the one who researched for the Channel 9 Living St. Louis episode on the Rev. Cook. There was one picture of boys swimming and a fuzzy picture of the dining lodge.

Uriah's Chronicles said...

It has been like 75 plus years since I was @ River Clift. I would love to chat with Rabbit,I'm sure there are some memories we could share Feel free to call 317.299.4781 any time.

ann disinger said...

the resort across the road from the camp is called blue springs resort and they have a good website they also have a variety of camping and housing options you can tent, bring your camper with electric hook ups,rent a cabin but for restaurants you would need to go back into Bourbon the Circle something diner on Route 66 has great fried catfish on fridays and many old timers I hope to put a flyer in there for info re the camp soon. I found a guy in St. Louis who can turn slides into digital pictures for a very resonable price will post his phone number and name when i get it. there is a YMCA gala the first week in July which is in St. Louis and should be a reunion of old campers I hope to record people there if i can get permission from the y.
i printed your blog for rabbitt as he has no computor but his some does so we will work something out.

Uriah's Chronicles said...

I hope that some pictures of River Cliff can be found. Anything to preserve it's history would be great. I'd love to chat with Rabbit anytime. He may remember me.

ann disinger said...

this is Ann again and my research on the book about rivercliff is going well I have been doing the research and Wayne Calvin from Villa Ridge has agreed to write the book I hope. We have talked enough to have more questions than answers and more people to reach . There might be grant money for this project and I will connect with a friend who has done this before.
it is beginning to look like the majority of the book will be an oral history and currently I am enamored with a book called That Is The Way It Was by a lady who has published several oral histories and curated the St. Louis Holucust Museum. In order to interview campers I am going to need phone numbers which I do not have but will try to sweet talk some people in to calling me back. I spent 4 days in sullivan and bourbon last week and have some good people helping me from that end.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on this project. As it concerns Sullivan/Bourbon, the names of Ed and Opal Luxemburger come to mind. Ed was the resident caretaker; they lived on the grounds forever and ever, and raised a family there. They MUST be be long, long gone; they were aged when I was an infant running amok with Mr. Jackson's daughters before we were of age to be in the cabins. I have no notion of where the voluminous papers of the late John Davis Buckner might be; he was involved with Pine Street YMCA and thus Rivercliff affairs forever. ronelliott2000@gmail.com.

Anonymous said...

River cliff stories should be told. My name is Willie "Sonny" Metcalfe that was my summer home camper, counselor, lifeguard. My first year I was given the nickname toupee because of my haircut sonnymetcalfe@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Glad to have aboard,Sonny! The blog will automatically notify you of posts, if so instructed. There was a group called the "YMCA Old-Tymers," that functioned at the (now) Monsanto YMCA up on Page. U haven't heard mention of it recently, but anyone could inquire of them.

Unknown said...

My husband went there in 1967. He remembers the chapel back in the woods. He also remembers the dick because he became a junior lifeguard

Unknown said...

His nickname was lizard because he was always catching the lizards

Unknown said...

My name is Loyce V. (McCowan) Lilly, and I was a Camp River Cliff goer. You say how did you go it was an all boys camp. Well my dear pastor, Rev. James E, Cook would reserve the last two weeks of the camping season for his church, Antioch Baptist Church. We, me, my brother and my Mother, would go every year. I really can't remember how many times we went but each time it was the highlight of my summer(from 1953-1958). I remember Jodie Bailey, Hodges, Tiny and Weatherbird. Oh WoW!!!! What pleasant memories. I remember chapel and the sound of the creek as we would honor God at the beginning of the day. The mess hall where we received 3 well balanced meals and then on to the b i g circle around the flag pole. I learned to swim there, never will forget diving off the raft and swimming against the current back to the bank. We as girls would by the 2 or 3 day pick which lifeguard we where in love with. But Jodie was very strict with those lifeguards and there was never any flirting or fraternizing from them. My Mother was self employed so she always went with us. We where able to sleep in the cabins with our peers, however she was there in the adult cabins up on the hill volunteering where ever needed. We visited Onagonda Cave and a fish hatchery while there. Memories that bring a smile to my face!
I can be contacted at lilly_loyce@Yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Attended summer of 61. Learned a great deal under Coach Jody Bailey. I,too, recall the ice cold water temperatures while learning to swim in the Meremac River. Many of us jumped in with T-shirt on initially to break chill. Those memories and experiences are forever a part of me.

Unknown said...

Sonny Metcalfe. I just visited the site where River Cliff stood. It's changed somewhat but I can still recognize a couple land marks like the creek leading into camp is above water now. It's sad but I believe one if the determining factors for closing the camp was the Corp of Engineers were going to flood the area. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! Now the are has another camp (resort) where River Cliff stood?

bob said...

So glad to have found this blog. I was a cabin counselor and rifle range instructor 1 year, and First Aid/ Rifle range another year. Jodie Bailey was terrific Leader and such a Good person al around. Cookie and Bessie and Syl -- all great memories. Sarg was so good with the youngest boys. then Vietnam.

I have some pictures. Where can I share?

Unknown said...

bob (above)

Contact info

bob_lynch9041@sbcglobal.net

Anonymous said...

Anonymous I went to camp River Cliff, it was dirty cold and water moccasins in the river,. As soon as my parents came I went home. Glad it is gone, the food was terrible.

ann disinger said...

Anonymous, what year(s) we’re you there?

Anonymous said...

You went to the wrong camp because I was a camper there and I was a Lifeguard and Counselor there and all my years i saw snakes but I'd never seen a water moccasin. The beginner's swam ond a sandy beach "No Mud" IT WAS A CAMP. NOT A RESORT. WHAT DO EXPECT"